Highland Baptist Church began as a mission of First Baptist Church of Shelbyville in May of 1941. Eight years later, February of 1949, the mission was organized as Second Street Baptist Church, holding services in a renovated house at Second and Bradshaw Streets. A few years later, as the Church began to grow, the name was changed to Second Baptist Church.
Within ten years of constituting as a church, the membership relocated, constructing a Church on US 60 East across from the Masonic Home. This area of town was known as the Highlands of Shelbyville, so the congregation took the name Highland Baptist Church on October 8, 1958.
As Highland Baptist continued to grow, overflow services were conducted in Shelbyville High School. In 1964, the Church bought 9.6 acres of land on Highway 53 (Mount Eden Road) in order to construct a larger Church building. Highland Baptist relocated to this newly constructed building on Mount Eden Road in January of 1968.
As God continued to bless Highland Baptist with growth, the church soon began to outgrow its building on Mount Eden Road. In April of 1981, the Church voted to construct a sanctuary addition to their building and to remodel the existing sanctuary for additional fellowship and education space. This construction and renovation project was completed in May of 1985.
In response to the continued growth of Shelby County, Highland Baptist completed construction of a multi-purpose building in 2004.
Throughout the years Highland Baptist has sought to be a Church on mission for our Lord Jesus Christ, endeavoring to meet the spiritual needs of the Shelbyville/ Shelby County community. Our pastor history is listed here.